Having a backup of your data will be very helpful when your system gets damaged or corrupted. For that, you have to back up your data regularly to a place where storage is available. If you are busy with other works, you can use the automatic system backups feature of Windows 10 which helps you to save your data on a regular period. But the disadvantage is the amount of data that is being stored. It may fill up your hard-drive or other hardware devices.
Also, Windows saves a huge amount of unnecessary data which may accumulate your resources. But it can be removed regularly with some old data also. The main question that we are going to answer in this article is how to delete backup files in Windows 10? There are several ways to delete backup files in Windows 10. Follow the steps given below to delete the backup files and free some space in your PC.
Easy Methods To Delete Backup Files In Windows 10
Method 1: Deleting Windows Restore Points
One of the first features was the System Restore, which put away a depiction of your present Windows installation and records. This element exists in Windows 10 and is utilized to make restore points for big updates. If that it’s empowered and too many restore points are made, it can occupy a large amount of storage. Eliminating a portion of these restore points can be a decent method to clear some space for different documents.
- Bring up the Run window by pressing the Win+R buttons together
- Type systempropertiesprotection and press Enter
- In the new window opened, go to the System Protection tab
- Click Configure button
- The System Protection window will open. Press Delete. This will erase all system restore points
- You can likewise change how much space this element utilizes by moving the Max Usage slider
- While it isn’t suggested, you can likewise turn off this element and reestablish the entirety of the System saved space for general use by pressing the Disable system protection
- Press OK to save your settings whenever you’re finished
Method 2: Deleting the Windows.old Folder After System Updates
If you need to clear space after a significant Windows 10 update, you should begin by erasing the Windows. old folder. This is naturally made as a reinforcement of your older Windows establishment when a significant Windows update happens. You Can Also Check How to Take a Screenshot in Windows 8.1 / 10 [Full Guide]
You don’t need to stress over erasing this folder much of the time—Windows will naturally eliminate it a month after an update happens. On the off chance that you need to eliminate it sooner to recover the space quicker, notwithstanding, you can.
- To erase the folder, open the Run window by pressing the Win+R buttons together
- Type cleanmgr and click Ok
- In the new window, press Clean up system files
- In the Files to delete list, ensure that the previous windows installation(s) checkbox is ticked. To save extra space, you can likewise empower different settings or folders to be cleaned now.
- When you’re prepared, press OK to start the process of deletion.
This will eliminate the Windows. old folder, clearing a few gigabytes of storage simultaneously. You won’t have the option to reestablish the old Windows installation once you do this, nonetheless, so ensure that any updates or new installations are working accurately before you continue.
Method 3: Delete Old Backup Files From File History Cleanup
- Open Control Panel by searching in the desktop
- In the above search bar, type File History Cleanup and click the matched one
- Select the Advanced Settings from the left side
- Then, click the Clean Up Versions
- Select the period of versions you want to delete, and then click Clean up
- After the cleaning process is completed, click Ok
Method 4: Using The Command Prompt
- Press Win + X together to open a Command Prompt
- Execute the order of commands for the time of versions you need to erase, and press Enter
- Everything except the most recent one-
FhManagew.exe -cleanup 0
FhManagew.exe -cleanup 0 – quiet
- 1 month and older files
FhManagew.exe -cleanup 30
FhManagew.exe -cleanup 30 – quiet
- 3 months and older files
FhManagew.exe -cleanup 90
FhManagew.exe -cleanup 90 – quiet
- 6 months and older files
FhManagew.exe -cleanup 180
FhManagew.exe -cleanup 180 – quiet
- More old than 1 year (default)-
FhManagew.exe -cleanup 365
FhManagew.exe -cleanup 365 – quiet
- Execute either the first command or with the -quiet command
- If it didn’t discover any forms of your documents that were that old, click on Close, and retry Step 2 above utilizing a more limited time-frame if you like
- After the cleanup is completed, click Ok
Method 5: Using the built-in tool
In Windows 10/8/7, its snap-in utility named Backup and Restore permits you to consequently make backups of records on your hard drive just as the Windows OS as long as you set a schedule. At that point, how to delete backup files in windows 10 on account of the backup drive is full? Follow these steps:
- Open Control Panel by searching in the desktop
- In the list of options available, select Backup and Restore(Windows 7)
- Click the Manage space option
- In the Manage Windows Backup disk space window, two options are given for you to choose to free up disk space on the backup disk
- If you click the View backups option, you have to select a backup period to delete Windows backup files. Be careful and select the old period and then click the Delete button to remove backup files for more storage
- If you click the Change settings option to free up disk space by changing how Windows holds older system images. This will let Windows 10 Backup to delete old backups automatically.
- Next, you will see two options in the pop-up window as shown in the image
- The first option is chosen by default. Windows will consequently save system images, yet it won’t take up over 30% of space on the drive on the off chance that you permit Windows to oversee space. When it arrives at the 30% mark, it deletes the old system images
- If you care about having the most recent images accessible and need to monitor your storage, you ought to pick the subsequent one to keep just the most recent images. Simply pick the appropriate one to erase backup records in Windows 10/8/7 relying upon your necessities.
These are some of the best ways to delete old backup files in Windows 10. Follow these steps carefully, and if one solution doesn’t work, go to the next solution. We hope that we helped you in knowing how to delete backup files in Windows 10